Peddler’s Case

peddlers-case-c1For L’Etoile, I created a case for the peddler, Lazuli. The case is covered in faux leather and trimmed in stained wood with straps so the actor could carry it like a backpack. The final version differed drastically from the initial concept, after they played with different styles and methods in rehearsal.

peddlers-case-c2

Here the case is pictured in its backpack position.

peddlers-case-c3

Inside, the lid was lined with decorative paper and compartments were built to separate his different items.

peddlers-case-f1

Lazuli is pictured above wearing his case.

Savonarola Chairs

savonarola-f1

For Volpone, I built four identical Savonarola chairs. The designer liked the Savonarola style, but wanted to contemporize them to match the look and feel of the overall design.

savonarola-r1

This chair, by Design Toscano, was one of the research photos showing the traditional Savonarola chair.

savonarola-r2

This is a designer sketch showing how he wanted to contemporize the style.

Based on the research pictures and conversations with the designer, I drew a 3D model of the chair using Google SketchUp. Drawing the chair in 3D allowed me to virtually construct each piece before cutting a single board.

savonarola-c1

The most time consuming part of the construction was cutting the legs. Once I gridded, cut, and sanded the template, each leg had to be traced, cut, and flush-trim routed to size. The seat, arms, legs, and back were cut with the same process.

savonarola-c2

After all the pieces were cut, they were base coated. The legs and seat pieces were then assembled using 3/8″ threaded rod through pre-drilled holes at the joints, capped on each end with acorn nuts.

savonarola-c3

Pictured here (upside-down) is the chair with the legs fully attached to the seat.

savonarola-c4

The arms and feet were attached next.

savonarola-c5

And finally, the back.

savonarola-c6

The four chairs together, before final paint.

savonarola-f2

Two of the completed chairs, painted gold to match the set, each with a custom pillow.

Wireframe Umbrellas

wire-umbrella-f2

For The Illusion, the designer wanted wireframe umbrellas during the rain sequence. I experimented with several options including modifying traditional umbrellas, but building them from scratch was the best solution.

wire-umbrella-r1

This is the research I was given for the look of the umbrellas.

wire-umbrella-c1

ch of the 8 spokes was welded to the center rod, then bent down around a wooden jig. The curved pieces were then welded in between each of the spokes to mimic what would be the edge of the fabric.

wire-umbrella-c2

The shaft was then inserted into a pre-drilled hole in an existing umbrella handle and fastened with two sheet metal screws.

wire-umbrella-f1

After spray painting them to match the hoop skirts, they were complete.

Banquet Table

banquet-f1

This 3 ft. by 8 ft. banquet table was built for Falstaff.

banquet-r1

This is the main research from which I built the banquet table. The designer did not want the center two legs, however.

banquet-c1

To cut the detail, I built a router jig which lock the board at a set interval, allowing me to plunge-route the cove.

banquet-c2

Shown here is the table frame, before the lid was attached.

banquet-c3

As I completed the table, I discovered that having the legs this far apart allowed the lid a noticeable deflection, so I had to add additional support underneath.